Sunday, August 23, 2009

In the next hour.


In the time it takes to watch an episode of American Idol, 81 women will be diagnosed with cancer. That's just in the United Stated alone. Mothers, sisters, daughter and friends. Think of all the women in your life. Since cancer is so common now, people think it is easier to deal with. I did. When I was first diagnosed, I thought. " O.k. a little radiation, light surgery and that will take care of things." I knew several people who made it through cancer 'just fine'. I really had no idea. To make things worse, I felt guilty because after the cancer was gone, I still felt like crap. I smiled, I went back to work but inside I was far from 'fine'.
I was very vocal about my experience with cancer and yet, I also went through a period of time I wanted to just move on and forget it ever happened. But I have kids and I want them to know how to avoid this nightmare in the future and yes, I do believe the choices we make now for ourselves and for the environment are critical to our survival in the future.

I can't promise them we will have a cure for cancer or chronic disease, but I can teach them the tools I have learned along the way to lead a healthy, happy life. I wanted to walk away from cancer - but something kept nudging me to share my experience. Teach people the things I have learned ( and am still learning ) form people in my quest for health. I knew it was the right thing to do when I decided to do the "Life After Cancer Event" and people started coming out of the woodwork to help. This told me two things: 1. I was not alone in my feelings after cancer and 2. There were people who really wanted to share their knowledge and expertise as much as I did.
If you are reading this and have experienced cancer, please join us on October 30th at the Fairmont Princess -If you know of someone who might benefit from this, please share this with them- you never know how you can impact a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment